Monday, July 2, 2007

paper clips




I'm sure you've heard the paper clip story--how a guy called Kyle MacDonald used his blog to parlay a lowly paper clip into a house. As it turns out, the house was really just a jumping off point for his fabulous new career--his book about it all is coming out soon, and he's about to go on tour internationally to promote it.

And then there's the story in the Globe this weekend about the Chinese girl who wanted a recording contract. So she got hooked up with a guy who set her up with a blog, the aim of which was to trade up from a paper clip to a house in a hundred days. Somehow, after a hundred days, she ended up with a recording contract--I'm not clear about the house.

I can't imagine how this could possibly work.

Well, I'd like a five bedroom house off Withrow Park, but I'm going to be much more modest. I would like to trade up to--a Bookshort!



In case you haven't heard of them, Bookshorts are little mini-films about 3 to 5 minutes long that are like movie trailers for books. Authors use them to promote their books. I'd like to get one made for my novel, Things Go Flying.




Here's my favourite Bookshort--it's for Douglas Coupland's Jpod. You really have to see this to get what I mean.

http://bookshorts.com/watch_jpod.htm




Now I just have to think of something to trade...maybe I should hit some garage sales.





1 comment:

4n0n3m0u5e said...

Interesting bookshort - all the best getting yours done.
Fred